Monday, January 14, 2019

The Journey’s Weekly Check-up #4




Otherwise known as “A Journal of Reflection”

Share something that made you smile

Staying home all day! It worked out I could stay home all day long last Saturday (a rarity indeed). I was so thankful and happy as a clam!

Share something that made you think

I’ve run across a lot of good thought-provoking ideas this week! Here’s one I’m still chewing on:

I heard Tony Campolo the other day on television:

He said, "You're gonna die. They are going to put you in a hole and put dirt in your face and then go back to the church and eat potato salad."

That statement, shocking as it may be, is true for each and every one of us. We just don't know the date.

I’m not in agreement with everything Mr. Campolo says, and I'm not sure I even know his point he was making; but, I was so taken by those words that the thought I had was this, "It's time to quit playing around. If you are going to accomplish anything for God, now is the time.”


Share a win from this week

I managed to stay focused and accomplish everything on my list and walk out the door on time on Friday. (I’m notorious for doing “just one more thing,” on a Friday and being about an hour late to leave!)

Share a great quote

My pastor, Jack Oliver, asked the question,
 “Can you drink of the cup of your calling?”

He’d been preaching on the last supper and Jesus time of praying at Gethsemane. What he really meant was, “Can you handle all the pressures that come with your calling?”

When he said that, I was all, “Yes, I can! I’m excited about being called to teach. I’m willing to put the time in to study and to pray over the lesson.”

Then I thought, “Well, you say you are called to be a writer. Are you willing to get up early and put the time in to write every day?”

That was harder to say yes to … and then, the alarm went off at 5:30 a.m. today, and what did I do? I hit the snooze button …

Mercy! I have issues to work on!

Share a song or a scripture that ministered to you

Speaking of mercy, I‘m still thinking about the message I received the other day:  “What if you believed, really believed that goodness and mercy are going to chase you down?” What if you REALLY believed Psalm 23:6 (NLT)?

Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me    all the days of my life,and I will live in the house of the Lord    forever.

How would believing that impact my life? When troubles come, could I shake it off and say, His goodness and love is chasing me down, I don’t have to worry about this?

Share a favorite picture

I love this picture of the twins working intensely on making the family ornaments for our Christmas trees.



~~~

I just want you to know how highly I value those of you that make your way to the Journey to read my words! I believe encouraging others with the written word is a worthy calling. Thank you especially to those who respond. You make it worthwhile!

I don't want you to miss a post, so why not sign up to subscribe. It's easy-peasy. Just enter your email address in the sidebar right above my profile.

If a post resonates with you, please consider sharing by clicking one of the social media buttons at the bottom of this post.

I'm linking up today at Inspire Me Monday.

4 comments:

  1. I've heard Tony Campolo on the radio before...he usually has some thought provoking things to say!

    Yay for being able to stay home, to be organized to get out the door on time and to have those adorable grandtwins! I enjoyed your reflections.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you've had a productive week! Yay for getting everything on your list accomplished. I'm working on accomplishing things that move me toward my goals, and not just lists of busy work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a pleasure to read this post, Jerrelea. Lots of good stuff to chew on. Yikes! That quote from Campolo...ouch! Happy midweek to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's so good to be able to put pen to paper and list all the things we've learned and enjoyed in the course of just a few days.

    so thought-provoking, so gratitude-producing, Jerralea!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.