Saturday, October 20, 2018

Day 20 - Seeking Truth




And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 NKJV

I decided to wait until Saturday to ask mom all the burning questions I had. It would be safer to confront her when Jamie was there to play cards and eat pizza, plus I felt Jamie knew a lot of things I didn’t know – maybe she might be the one to tell me.

It was very, very hard to act normally around mom the next few days. I saw her glancing at me suspiciously- especially when I acted as sweet as pie.

Finally, Saturday came. Over the years, mom and Jamie had graciously allowed me to not only join them for pizza but had taught me to play pinochle as well. I could play until 10 p.m. then mom would tell me to “vamoose.” I knew she wanted time to herself with her friend.

As the clock inched toward 10, I knew my time was running out. After Jamie dealt the cards, I made a big show of arranging them just so, as I casually said, “Mom, how come no one has ever mentioned anything about Grandpa to me?”

Mom stiffened like she’d been knifed in the back. “There ain’t nothing to say about him.”

With a trembling voice, I shot back, “That’s hard to believe there is nothing to say about a man who was a murderer!”

Have you ever heard the term, “All hell broke loose?”

Mom yelled, “Where in the *** did you hear that? I’ve been so careful to keep you away from those ***** gossipers,” as she jumped up from the table, knocking her chair over and sweeping the cards off to flutter in the air.

“That’s what comes from living in this god-forsaken town. Oh, how I hate it here!”

She ran over to the buffet and swept all of Grandma’s what-nots onto the floor. She punched the wall with her fist, spewing profanity the whole time.

If we’d had a cat, she would have kicked it.

Jamie kept murmuring, “I knew this was going to happen …”

Finally, there was a lull in the ranting and raving, so I said, “No one told me about it, I read a newspaper clipping.”

Off she went again, only this time, I was the subject of her attack. She went on and on about how I was so nosy and sneaky and was always into things where I didn’t belong; I was never any good to her – and after all she’d done for me. After all, she’d given up her whole life for me!

At that, I became livid. “After all you’ve done for me? What have you done except show me hate my whole life? You’ve kept me a prisoner in this house. My only friend is an 80-year-old woman! Who, by the way, never breathed a word about all this! She must have known!”

“Prisoner!” she shrieked. “I let you go to school!”

“Only to keep the truant officers away – AND to keep people from asking questions,” I yelled.

Nastily, mom sneered, “What about your precious youth camp and youth group? I let you go to those.”

“Only to have time to yourself!”

Jamie said, “Now I think we all need to calm down and discuss this rationally.”

Breathing hard, mom cut her eyes at her and I wondered if she’d attack Jamie as well. She’d never done so before; but she was clearly out of control.

Mom gritted her teeth and ground out, “I’m not going to talk about that old man.”

Desperate to find out the truth, I adopted mom’s stance and ground out, “Then let’s talk about Joe Lee Morgan.”







We are on Day 20 of my serial, Angel on Assignment: The Book of Morgan. Confrontation is hard; but the truth will always come out in the end.


If you have missed any of the previous posts, click on the title, "Angel on Assignment" in the upper right hand corner in my side bar. It will take you to a page where you can find all links as they go live.

This serial is not intended to be doctrine. Scripture does tell us angels come to warn, bring messages and sometimes watch over us. It also tells us we could possibly unknowingly entertain an angel. My serial is just me imagining how that might look in our present day and time.

Tomorrow's offering: What I Didn't Want to Know



This post was written as part of the Write 31 Days challenge. A whole group of writers will be writing for 31 days straight on a variety of topics. Click here to check it out.

~~~

I'm honored you stopped by the Journey today!

I don't want you to miss a post, so why not sign up to subscribe? It's easy-peasy. Just enter your email address in the sidebar right above my profile.

If a post resonates with you, please consider sharing by clicking on the social media buttons at the bottom of this post.

I'm linking this post with the communities at Bloggers Voice Network and Dance with Jesus.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.