Thursday, October 18, 2018

Day 18 - A season of waiting ...




“For everything there is a season … a time to hate and a time to love.”
 Ecclesiastes 3, portions of verses 1 & 8, NLT

My slideshow journey back to the past paused at this time. My eyes were still tightly shut but light beat against my eyelids. I heard background noises. I felt my body laying on a bed with warm sheets packed around me.

Waiting, just waiting.

I heard someone by my bedside. Two someones. One spoke quietly saying, “We really can’t understand what happened. All her vital signs are good. She just won’t come out of this coma.”

The other questioned, “But she will wake up … won’t she?”

At the sound of that second voice, the slideshow started up again – this time, dizzyingly fast.

I saw my trip home from camp, my telling of my decision to follow Christ, and mom’s snort of derision as she flung her hands into the air.

“I mighta knowed they’d suck you into that!"

I saw the many times I begged to go to church.  I also remembered doing everything within my power to make life easier for mom – including keeping the house clean and doing the laundry. I went so far as actually having dinner ready when she got home. Boy, I sure bugged Sister Clara with questions about how to cook things!

After many weeks, Mom reluctantly allowed me to attend youth group – but only if Sister Clara took me and was waiting right there to pick me up.

After that, mom and I had an uneasy truce for the next couple of years. I didn’t push Jesus down her throat and she let me go to youth functions – but never Sunday morning church.

Best of all – she let me go to youth camp each summer!

I think I could have learned to finally love her in spite of her prickliness if I hadn’t found that newspaper clipping …








We are on Day 18 of my serial, Angel on Assignment: The Book of Morgan. Morgan and her mom share an uneasy truce.


What do YOU think? What will happen next? What newspaper clipping?

If you have missed any of the previous posts, click on the title, "Angel on Assignment" in the upper right hand corner in my side bar. It will take you to a page where you can find all links as they go live.

This serial is not intended to be doctrine. Scripture does tell us angels come to warn, bring messages and sometimes watch over us. It also tells us we could possibly unknowingly entertain an angel. My serial is just me imagining how that might look in our present day and time.

Tomorrow's offering: Revealed Truth




This post was written as part of the Write 31 Days challenge. A whole group of writers will be writing for 31 days straight on a variety of topics. Click here to check it out.

~~~

I'm honored you stopped by the Journey today!

I don't want you to miss a post, so why not sign up to subscribe? It's easy-peasy. Just enter your email address in the sidebar right above my profile.

If a post resonates with you, please consider sharing by clicking on the social media buttons at the bottom of this post.

I'm linking this post with the community at #TuneInThursday, where there are some great writers sharing their work. Check it out!






1 comment:

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.