Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Day 16 - Once in a Lifetime Experience




“Come away with me, my fair one,” Song of Solomon 2:10b


The summer I was 16, Sister Clara got it into her head that I should go to summer camp.

I see now that she was desperate to get me to some kind of church function. She and Grandma Rose had prayed all those years ago that I would break the generational curse in my family. They prayed for the Lord to redeem my family – every one of them and to raise up a voice to touch others for Jesus in every generation starting with me.

She reckoned it was time for something to happen; and going to camp might expose me to the drawing of the Holy Spirit.

She broached the subject with mom; but mom shut her down right away, stating we didn’t have money for such foolishness as camp.

Sneakily, after many conversations, Sister Clara had managed to plant the idea of a trouble-free month of vacation for mom if I was tucked away safely at camp.

Jamie picked up on the theme of that idea as well and even had talked mom into going to the beach with her while I was at camp.

The money issue was solved when Sister Clara just happened to know of a couple families that needed their garages cleaned out. I could earn my way to camp. Sister Clara promised she would go with me and supervise my cleaning efforts.

Mom said yes!  I could hardly believe it! I had been basically a prisoner in my own house for 16 years. I was never allowed to go anywhere but school. I never attended any community events. I never went to the store because mom picked up what we needed. I had never visited anyone because Jamie was our only friend and she came to our house to visit.

My world was the classroom, Sister Clara’s front porch and Grandma’s backyard.

I was unbelievably scared and excited at the same time!





We are on Day 16 of my serial, Angel on Assignment: The Book of Morgan. Surprisingly, Morgan's mom gives permission for her to go to Youth Camp.


What do YOU think? What will happen next?

If you have missed any of the previous posts, click on the title, "Angel on Assignment" in the upper right hand corner in my side bar. It will take you to a page where you can find all links as they go live.
This serial is not intended to be doctrine. Scripture does tell us angels come to warn, bring messages and sometimes watch over us. It also tells us we could possibly unknowingly entertain an angel. My serial is just me imagining how that might look in our present day and time.

Tomorrow's offering: GOOD NEWS





This post was written as part of the Write 31 Days challenge. A whole group of writers will be writing for 31 days straight on a variety of topics. Click here to check it out.

~~~

I'm honored you stopped by the Journey today!

I don't want you to miss a post, so why not sign up to subscribe? It's easy-peasy. Just enter your email address in the sidebar right above my profile.

If a post resonates with you, please consider sharing by clicking on the social media buttons at the bottom of this post.


I'm sharing this post at Trekking Through the Week.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.