Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Basic Belief




Memorizing scripture can be so helpful along the Journey. The Holy Spirit will help you recall scripture you have learned just when you need it.

He is awesome like that.

When I was a child, the first scripture I remember memorizing was Psalm 56:3. Why that verse?

It was a great verse for someone dealing with fear.

“What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee.”

Short and concise, it was easy to commit to memory and recite in a little sing-song voice whenever I had nightmares, or worse, when I thought I heard a mouse in the corner who might want to jump up on my bed.

That was my mortal childhood fear – planted by a cousin who thought it was funny to tell me he saw a mouse trying to climb up on my bed. I believed him and spent many a night with all the covers tucked firmly around my person as I whispered aloud Psalm 56:3 over and over.

It became my mantra.  Now, don’t get worried about the word mantra. Although we think of it as a word Eastern religions use, a mantra is also defined as “a word or phrase that is repeated often or that expresses someone's basic beliefs.”

My basic belief is that when I’m afraid, I’m gonna trust Him to take care of me.

I’ve shared previously how Psalm 91 was so helpful to me when I was afraid of being alone at night. Obviously, night time is not my favorite!

But Psalm 56:3 is short, quick and to the point. You can use it for all kinds of situations.

For instance, suppose you’re driving home in pouring rain finding it hard to see the road and hail is beating on the roof of your car.  Repeating, “What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee,” as you inch along can be quite calming. I highly recommend it.

You’re not denying you are afraid; but you’re boldly declaring DESPITE your fear, you are going to trust in God.

It’s been said fear and faith can occupy the mind at the same moment.

The question is … which one are you going to let win?

I think all fear and doubt is rooted in fear that God is not who He says He is, OR I'm not who He says I am - His loved and precious child who He will help in time of trouble.

When fear comes, I’m going to speak in faith, trusting in God to move. The more I speak faith, the more my doubts get canceled out.

Whenever fear comes SAY, “I’m going to trust in Him.”

I can truthfully say He has never let me down in all the years I've been on the Journey - and He never will!

~~~

I’m honored you stopped by the Journey today!



I don't want you to miss a post, so why not sign up to subscribe. It's easy-peasy. Just enter your email address in the sidebar right above my profile.

If a post resonates with you, please consider sharing by clicking one of the social media buttons at the bottom of this post.


Today, I'm linking with the community at #TellHisStory.

.

2 comments:

  1. Many times, this is easier said than done for me. But true!

    ReplyDelete

  2. A Good word today, Jerralea! Fear is something we all experience on some level and that verse is pure GOLD!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.