Thursday, August 17, 2017

A Bee or Nothing

Fall used to be synonymous with the start of school. I'm old enough that I remember the first day of school being after Labor Day.

When my girls were little, it was the last part of August when we took first-day-of-school pictures. (Okay, let's be honest. I didn't take any.)

Now, some area schools began as early as August 4th. What's up with that?

Combining the dog-days of summer with new jeans and back-packs? Mercy!

Anyway, 2017 is a big year in our family because the twins started Pre-Kindergarten. Say it isn't so!

They are beyond excited. I'm wondering next August if they will feel the same ...

I have to share a cute story regarding filling out the forms for school. My daughter stated one of the questions the school asked about the twins: What do they want to be when they grow up?

Seriously? 

I am still not 100% sure what I want to do when I grow up. They expect a three year-old to know?

So during dinner, Janae asked Baylee what she wanted to be when she grew up.

Immediately, Baylee said, "A bee."


Chuckling, we all exclaimed, "A bee!"

Baylee, taking a drink of her juice, said, "Yeah."

Her mom says, "What does a bee do?"

Baylee replied matter-of-factly:  "They eat honey and fly."

Sounds like fun.

Meanwhile, Brody was busily shoveling in his food. When asked what he wanted to be, he looked up frowning. 

"I'm eating right now."

Okay ...

Later, on the question was repeated to Brody. His response? "I'm playing right now."

Obviously, this is a subject he does not want to discuss. Janae answered the blank on Brody's form, "Nothing."

I've an idea this is going to be an interesting fall ... we've never had twins go to school before ...

~~~

This post was written in response to Writer's Workshop prompt #4. Write a blog post inspired by the word: fall. You can read the rest of the prompts and the responses at Kat's blog, Mama's Losin' It.

By the way ... what do YOU want to be when you grow up?

8 comments:

  1. It sounds like you've got your hands' full; but oh what FUN! My 17 (almost 18 year old, YIKES!) doesn't know exactly what he wants to do yet, and I'm okay with that. He's got some ideas but I'd rather he enjoy the opportunities God has given him right now, and he can figure it out later. btw, I too remember when school started after labor day and what in the world was the first day of school picture? My school pictures were taken in the middle of the year where I sat stiffly because I was terrified that I would move as the camera flashed.
    Christy
    http://mywritingplayground.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. We started school August 14. It felt a little early, but we will have more time off during the year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You definitely live in the mid West if school started for you all already! Here in NYS, summer school for special needs students ends tomorrow and we are on a 2 week vacation until the day after Labor Day when us teachers have to go back. Wednesday the children preschool-grade 12 go back. Although in some districts in NYS, the grades k-12 go back Thursday Sept 7th. Either way, I am JUST starting my summer vacation!! (minus the 2 weeks we had at the very beginning of summer when we went to Italy).

    Enjoy the preK days with the twins!! I can't believe they are that big already!! I teach 3-5 yr olds. My guess is that the form is a way of your twins' teacher getting to know them a little bit...for fun......my daughters' 1st grade teachers did that. Along with what is their fave sport, book, movie, etc.

    HAPPY END OF SUMMER!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! Yep, it should be interesting. Do they still split twins up and put them in different classrooms. I like Baylee's answer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe the twins are starting pre-K! I'm sure it will be such a fun year for them! Our schools started here August 7th. I was trying to figure out why so early considering it is about 102-105 degrees outside, but in reality we got some of our hottest days of summer in June (over 110s) so I can see the logic to being out of school then.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. My kids started August 14th. I think it is early too, but they get an extra week off in October for some reason. Who knows?

    I think your sons answer to what he wants to be when he grows up is that he wants to stay a kid and not answer that question at this time. :)

    I think they will do great in PreK. They will have so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's nothing like a child telling you like it is! Love the story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We don't start until after Labor Day and I'm so glad! August just does not feel like school time to me!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.