Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Faith-Shapers

Something that has impacted me greatly was a simple question asked by a dear old saint leading a bible study one time:


"What do you think is the one quality God values in us above all others?"

Several people offered answers that basically boiled down to loving God and loving others.

He agreed love was important but he said, 

"Faith is what God's looking for. He chose one man of faith, Abraham, and created God's people from him."

The bible tells us in three different places that Abraham believed and God counted it as righteousness - which means right standing with God. Because of his faith, Abraham also earned the title of "Friend of God."

I don't know about you, but I think it would be awesome to be a BFF of God!

Let's talk about what faith is. Here are two scriptures I think is key:


Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1 ESV
If we could see what we were hoping for, then we really aren't using our faith.

Of course, the most important thing to have faith in is the fact God exists!


And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him. Hebrews 11:6 ESV

The bible tells us each has a measure of faith. It also tells us we can pray for increased faith.

Let's talk about how faith can be increased.

So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

I've found in my own life that two things shapes my faith - the Word and experience. 

The more I'm in the Word, the more I hear the Word preached, the more my spirit grows into a woman of faith. When I hear the truth about God's love for me, His attributes and characteristics, my faith grows believing He is who He says He is, and I am who He says I am. I won't know those things if I'm not in the Word, though!

The second thing that shapes my faith is my experiences in life that prove to me God is always there with me. When you've walked through the valleys of mental illness in the family, infertility, job loss, natural disasters and come through on the other side testifying to God's presence and deliverance.

I can never be persuaded that God does not care, because my experiences tell me He does.

I invite you to study His Word. Seek Him with your whole heart. He promises to be found by you when you do. If you do these things, I guarantee your faith will grow.
The Loft

This post was written in response to today's topic, Things That Have Shaped My Faith, at The Loft, a community of Christian bloggers.


We'd love to have your input! Go here to see all the links and join the discussion.

Grace&Truth-300x300

I'm also linking this post up with the community at Grace and Truth. If you'd like to participate as well, or just visit and read some awesome posts, visit any of these links listed below:

Satisfaction Through Christ
BLOG
 | FACEBOOK | PINTEREST | TWITTER |G+

Arabah Joy
BLOG | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | PINTEREST | G+

A Divine Encounter
BLOG | FACEBOOK | PINTEREST | G+ | STUMBLEUPON

Dawn Klinge – Above the Waves
BLOG | FACEBOOK | PINTEREST | TWITTER |INSTAGRAM

Aimee Imbeau – A Work of Grace
BLOG | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | PINTEREST | G+



4 comments:

  1. Faith! I wrote about it once and you're right - it grows in our heart, rests in our soul and rooted in our spirit. Without it, how can we call ourselves people of faith? Without it, how can we find anything but emptiness in the Secret Place? Faith is key - a gift given - a joy received. You, my dear friend, are a woman of faith.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You, my friend, have boiled this idea of faith down to the basics. I love it. Your post is one that every new Christian should read. So glad you linked this at the Loft!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true faith does grow in time as we experience the faithfulness of God. I know I have faith God will provide for me, always not sure how, but know that he will and sure enough he comes through time after time after time after time.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how succinct and clearly you have managed to cover this topic. When I am going through a difficult time, I always have this scripture and reminder of Abraham nearby to remind me of his faith being counted as righteousness. I can't fathom the faith Abraham had to have, but I know it is something I seek. Thanks for such a wonderful reminder. I'd love for you to share on #FreshMarketFriday, where it's all about intentional life in Christ and we select a Featured Fresh Find every week. So glad I stopped by! Crystal~

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.