Friday, February 26, 2016

He is kind of into New

Around the office, we've been chucking over Pastor's recent funny:

"Did you know the Bible tells us we should sing contemporary Christian music? Yeah, it says "sing to the Lord a NEW song.*"

Yeah, lame, but funny. After all, every song was new at one time. 

Nine different times, the Bible tells us to sing a new song, so God isn't against new.



In fact, He is kind of into new.

He likes to make us into new creations.

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new. 2 Corinthians 5:17

I don't know about you, but that is good news for me - I kind of made a mess with the old me.

And once, we do become that new creation, He immediately starts working with us on other new things, like a new way of living, thinking and doing. (Read all of Romans 12!)

He also gives us a new heart focus:

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. John 13:34

That new commandment helps us with keeping the 10 commandments as well; because, if you love others like Christ loves you? You won't even think about stealing, lying about, killing and coveting what others have - you'll be too busy loving.

New songs, new creations, new way of living, new heart focus; so, yeah, He is kind of into new. 

What about you? Do you long for new? I'd love to talk with you about it!


* Psalm 96:1


I love it when a post can be shared in two venues - it makes me feel so efficient. First, I'm sharing with the bloggers over at Writer's Workshop in response to the prompt:  4. Write a blog post inspired by the word: new. I love the workshop because you will always find humor lurking there.


Mama’s Losin’ It


I happen to think God is the author of "new" and so I'm also linking this post to the Christian community at Grace and Truth. You can find tons of awesome teaching with these bloggers!


Grace&Truth-300x300

You can visit or link up with any of these awesome bloggers:


Satisfaction Through Christ
BLOG
 | FACEBOOK | PINTEREST | TWITTER |G+



7 comments:

  1. It was great to read this perspective on new and all the references to new that God uses. Nice...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Jerralea! I felt "new" just reading it! :) I love reading the scripture throughout your posts. Thanks for sharing! Sorry I haven't been around this week, been a crazy one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that God does make us new creations if we will allow him to work in us :) I also like that he does want us to sing new songs to him though sometimes I miss the old songs that sometimes get pushed aside when new ones come along.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jerralea ... so good to meet you this past week and to rejoice with you today over all the ways God pours 'new' into our lives!

    How good and kind He is!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am SO Thankful that His mercies are NEW every morning. That is what first popped into my mind when I saw your post title.....thanks for sharing a good word. Happy weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jerralea! What a lovely thing to share your blog-friends with all of us. Thank you!
    I never thought about God being into the 'new' but certainly Jesus came to shake things up, and make things new. So it makes sense! I have an opportunity to make myself new in good things every day. I'm certain I goof it up plenty, but I'm thankful for the NEW chance to do better.
    Wishing a newness for me today!
    Happy Leap Day :)
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  7. God's love of new things is one of my favorite things about Him. You've touched on some of my favorite passages. This is #1 on my list, from Isaiah 43:19: "Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert." Thanks for sharing this sweet word with us at Grace & Truth!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.