Friday, May 4, 2012

Living in the Real World

I'm participating in Lisa-Jo's Five Minute Friday.  She picks a topic and we write for five minutes on the subject.  No re-doing it.  just writing.






Today's topic:  REAL

When I was a child, I coped with unpleasant situations by using my vivid imagination.  If I didn't like my present circumstances, I just imagined it away.  It was much nicer to live in a dream world.

Image supplied by Free ClipArt, cksinfo.com
I remember spending many nights telling my brother stories that my overactive imagination dreamed up. I particularly recall a long saga of him and me running away and camping out by the Fox River.  We lived in a teepee, carried our possessions in his little red Ryder wagon, yet somehow had all the conveniences of home!

The problem was, I didn't really live in a dream world.  I lived in the real world.  Imagining away my troubles didn't really solve anything.

As I matured spiritually, I realized it was wrong to dwell in an imaginary world.  God had ordered my steps and directed me to the life I have.  It is in this life that I have a calling and ministry to be done.  If my head is always in the clouds, I can be no earthly good.

I must live an authentic real life.  How can I tell what God has done for me if I am not present in this everyday world?

I've got to "keep it real."

STOP

If you would like to read more about this subject, visit Lisa-Jo at The Gypsy Mama Blog.

4 comments:

  1. I love your thoughts, as I too like to escape into imaginary worlds or remembered worlds from time to time. But I think sometimes they are helpful for me to be real. I have been reading the fiction of Robin Jones Gunn and her Christian characters have kept me company and taught me by example. So there is good in stories and sometimes a break from hard reality is a necessary thing, right? Not to sound like I am disagreeing with you because I totally affirm what you wrote. Keep it real!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, true, but sometimes we do forget he guides our steps for us. So glad I have done this prompt as I so happy of the Love for God that's been soon.
    My post for this prompt is at:
    http://leah-jamielynn.typepad.com/blog/ you can get it through blogger just hit the bloglvin icon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last weekend my children were gone for two days (coming home only to sleep), and my husband was out of town. Silence was my escape of choice. It was amazing how refreshed I began my week. For me the noise and chaos seems to be exhausting and the very think I need an escape from.

    I really appreciate your thoughts and insights on the little things in life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was great:

    "God had ordered my steps and directed me to the life I have. It is in this life that I have a calling and ministry to be done. If my head is always in the clouds, I can be no earthly good."

    And is truly the ever-present tension, isn't it? Not allowing ourselves to be so heavenly minded that we are no earthly good.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.