Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Three Bad Kings

intheiropinion.com
This is an election year.  Unfortunately, that means there will be election ads on the television.  It seems that it is acceptable to point out the other candidate's shortcomings in as hurtful a way as possible.

That's just politics for you ...

Many times I have a candidate in mind that I feel would be God's pick.  I'll pray about it a lot, share my ideas with friends and  vote with confidence thinking surely I have the mind of Christ.

Then my person loses the race.

I then feel upset, thinking, "Well, with that person in office, it just must be the end times.  God is surely coming soon, because of that evil person in office, America is just going to fall apart."

The truth is, God can use whoever is in office to accomplish His plans and purposes.

He's had to use bad leaders before.

He used Cyrus, king of Persia to rebuild the temple at Jerusalem.

Thus says Cyrus king of Persia: "All the kingdoms of the earth the Lord God of heaven has given me. And He has commanded me to build Him a house at Jerusalem which is in Judah.  Who is among you of all His people? May his God be with him, and let him go up to Jerusalem which is in Judah, and build the house of the Lord God of Israel (He is God), which is in Jerusalem." Ezra 1:2-3

This was later referred to as Cyrus' Edict of Restoration, and the Jews regarded him as "anointed of the Lord," a "Messiah," if you will.

Cyrus, a king of Persia.  Persia is now present-day Iran.

Then, there was Artaxerxes, also a Persian king. In Nehemiah, chapter 2, we read how Artaxerxes sent Nehemiah back to build the walls of Jerusalem, not only that, but he provided bodyguards and materials to do so.

Another Persian king that helped the Jews was Ahaserus, the husband of Esther.  You can read all about him in the book of Ruth.  In the end, Ahaserus did the right thing and executed the persecutor of the Jews, Haman.  He also made an edict that Jews could defend themselves.

My point is that even if things look bleak politically, God still can use those in office to get done what the will of the Lord requires.

"But the plans of the LORD stand firm forever, the purposes of his heart through all generations," Psalm 33:11


Don't worry, all is going according to His plan.



Linking up with Michelle at Hear It On Sunday, Use It On Monday,


and Jennifer at God Bumps & God-Incidences because only God make things happen, even if His children were NOT in control.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, wow. You laid all my thoughts out so well! I have been reading the Bible through in a 90 day plan (just finished Esther) so I've just read about all these kings in the last week. and I had the same thoughts. Look what God can use! His plan will prevail. To God be the glory.
    still, it's a privilege to vote. and I need to do just that. to make my voice heard.
    Blessings to you!
    All for Him,
    Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such truth. It's a blessing to be able to freely cast a vote for the candidate of your choice. We are responsible to be obedient to those in authority. I am reminded of Job 42:2 I know that you can do all things, and that no purpose of yours can be thwarted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful reminder that God is still sovereign even as we pray (1 Timothy 2:1,2) and vote...what a comfort, thank you! (linked up behind you at Jennifer's blog)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My, my, my... You are a wise one, yes you are. He'll use who He wants to use. Yes, indeed.

    So very glad you linked up.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.