Wednesday, February 18, 2009

WFMW: Cheap Substitution


Today is the last WFMW at Shannon's. Next week, Kristen at We are THAT Family will be hosting.


I've got to tell you I feel slap-out of ideas. But, I have to post on Shannon's last day ... it's historical, after all!


Then it came to me. A perfect tip, because it is money-saving, and because it helps a mom out who has just started a recipe and then finds out she's out of an important ingredient. (Ask me if I know how that feels!)


Are you ready?
Here it is: always keep a can of evaporated milk in the pantry. If you run out of milk for a recipe, substitute evaporated milk for 1/2 of the recipe and use water for the rest. If the recipe calls for 2 C milk, use 1 C evaporated milk and 1 C water.


You say you already knew that? Ok, well ... think of it as a reminder!


Did you know that it works really well for milk gravy? The kind that you eat with biscuits?


You did? Ok. Well ... It works for me!


Visit Shannon at Rocks in My Dryer to see if there are some ideas you haven't heard about. And, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Shannon for hosting WFMW, I've so enjoyed it and learned a lot. Best wishes in all your future endeavors.



4 comments:

  1. I love having substitution ideas. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard this...so thanks for posting it! Lisa~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea. I usually do this with powdered milk, but evaporated milk would taste better. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even cheaper and easier, you can use powdered milk and mix up exactly the amount you need. In a recipe you usually can't taste the difference. I use it routinely even when I have milk in the fridge, for things like mac&cheese, cornbread, and cream soups.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.