Monday, September 22, 2008

Wonderful, Blissful Sleep!


Our Janae Blissfully Asleep!


Returning to my theme of being thankful for the gift of sleep, one of my favorite verses is Psalm 127:2

"... for He gives [blessings] to His beloved in sleep."
However, today I read on in Psalm 127 and noticed the next verse:

"Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward."

What? Having children makes you have less sleep! Believe me, I know! When they are babies, they wake you up wanting to be fed or diapered [or both!]. Toddlerhood [is that a word?] means they will wake you up with having to go potty or nightmares. Young teens make noise at night with their music or having giggling sleepovers. Older teenagers keep you from sleeping because you can't go to sleep until they get home.

It just didn't seem like the two verses went together until I had a brain wave -- when you are a mother and you CAN go to sleep, you can sleep veryyyyyyyy deeply. After all, you're all worn out!

When I was a young married, I think I can remember back that far, I woke up all the time whenever I would hear a strange sound. When my babies came along, I always heard them cry in the night. As little kids, they could talk in their sleep and I would hear everything. Maybe I didn't understand it, but I could hear it.

However, when they got bigger, say, after the youngest was in first or second grade, I developed the wonderful ability to sleep through anything. Now there can be a party in my house and I wouldn't know it!

My husband, Mr. Night Owl, often has random home improvement projects come to his mind in the middle of the night. He has no fear of awakening me if he decides to do something, say, at 2 a.m. I won't ever hear him.

I read somewhere that you know you are sleep deprived if you can be asleep within 5 minutes of laying down. I venture to say that I can be asleep by the time my head hits the pillow! I don't know that I would call that deprived, I call it a gift. Why waste time? Let's get to the main event: wonderful, blissful, restorative sleep!

Hmm, maybe there is a cure for insomnia! Let an insomniac be responsible for a child in the house. I bet they'll sleep then!

What about you? If you have children, do you sleep better or worse since becoming a parent?

Yawn* I'll read and reply to every comment ... after my nap!

3 comments:

  1. Hi! I wanted to say thanks for stopping by. Yes we do seem to have a lot in common!

    The picture of your daughter is so sweet! I miss those days.

    Oh and in answer to your question...I have honestly suffered insomnia since giving birth to my son, which was when my twins were 3 and loved to wander the house in the middle of the night. Just because they are now in college, doesn't mean I sleep any better. LOL
    Thanks again, and I'm sure I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheese toasties are like grilled cheese, but with a kind of press, so they're sealed. Very yummy! And then just Heinz baked beans. Very British :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comment on Faith Lifts! :) Carol

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.